Gnome Mage

Gnome Mage

Wednesday 24 October 2012

One for the Photosensitives!

I started doing Raid Finder last night. I only did the first part but I kinda enjoyed it. I was able to play in Frost. Not the best dps ever but manageable. My gear is only just 460, so it'll get better. Also, the trash mobs are freezable, which = giant ice cubes! So, today my friend and I went to do it again, post reset. The first half went great. Although I was uber jealous of the Fire Mage pushing out epic dps. I almost went all Showgirls on him and wanted to throw some marbles for him to fall over!

Then we went to do the second part. Aside from me throwing out all my AoE's at the same time, arms flailing, when I wasn't supposed to (you live and learn), it was ok on the first boss. Then that big starry dragon happened. And for that I would like to send Blizzard a big middle finger! And here is why...

I am a photosensitive epileptic. I also have problems with fast moving geometric shapes and tightly spaced lines. I enjoy gaming and i know my triggers. But I am in a position now where any sort of progression in Raids has come to an end. Yes, in past raids there have been bosses with lots of seizuretastic flashes. But provided we down it fast and have no wipes, all is good. I've only had a bad problem once. In DS, our group wiped a few times on the Ultraxion fight. Because that fight requires you to concentrate and time the Hour of Twilight and everyone is stacked, throwing out lightning bolts, arcane barrages etc, the risk becomes greater. By the end I was twitching (myoclonic jerks) and it put me in bed for a day. So, that ended that little journey. I love my gaming but I know when to call some of it quits.

On the new raids the fights are longer, the screen bounces a lot on all bosses and everything moves so fast. But the shiny dragon...he is something else. Pretty though he is, he is an instant downer for someone sensitive to flashing lights. He was like a little Easter egg of bad. I know the game has to be fun and visually exciting and that it isn't only aimed at me but did it really have to be so god damned flashy? I will not be trying that fight again, ever. I played most of it blind (one eye covered helps disrupt the flashes. but I also only have 20% vision in the eye uncovered. which means lesser chance but more blind). Apologies to anyone in this Raid group. If you saw a FM running around like a headless chicken, that was me.

This means I'm out of raiding, even as a spare on a guild run. It means I can't try for the epic drops either. Looks like its back to fishing and growing crops for me! I'll carry on working towards Arena but until my partner is back, I'll just have to amuse myself with other things.

Anyway, more QQ later. For now I'm going to nap and feel better.

2 comments:

  1. Well miss gnome. you held yourself great during that fight and the fights after. I should have remembered it before inviting you for the 2 part. Because i knew from the Ultraxion fight.

    the middle finger seems appropriate here in my opinion the fight is visual very hectic.

    but dear gnome, this doesn't have to be the end of your raiding career. Yes this boss is going to be of limits for a while.. but pff.. its until now just that boss. mabye in the other raids there are bosses you can/want to do that are less flashy.

    your raidfinder buddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it was lots of fun until then! Though, I didn't die...So maybe I ought to play like that more often! ;)

    I'll try again sometime, maybe when more opens up. Thanks for your patience :)

    See you this evening, raidfinder buddy!

    ReplyDelete