Gnome Mage

Gnome Mage

Tuesday 10 April 2012

Flowers For Morchok: How Not To Raid Sucessfully

Tonight I did my first ever real raid. A few guildies and I got together and did a DS 10man run. I have done Raid Finder weekly but was secretly hankering for the dizzying heights of a normal DS run. As I was running late from work, my lovely partner helped pug a group that I could join in with. I dashed in and jumped straight in his seat to start my grand adventure. Got my Draconic on, ate some yummy buff foods, cooked a table full of food for the party and waited to start. I realised I was wearing bunny ears from my NobleGarden exploits and quickly changed into my Hood of Hidden Flesh (mogged to be a halo for my little angel!). I was ready! Ready to show these bosses how much this little mage has changed, since she dropped 6k DPS in Raid Finder 4 weeks ago...(another story, yet to come).

My DPS has steadily been getting better since my first Raid Finder experience. I changed spec to Arcane and started gathering good PvE gear. My item lvl is 387 and my DPS in raid had grown to about 25k. So, I made the decision to try.

We cleared the first few trash mobs easily, but I had notice my DPS had dropped to about 10k. I had a moment where I was puzzled but decided to just go with it and see if it improved. We looked Morchok in the eye and started to fight. Still my DPS was low...but it always is when I have to keep running into that bloody red ball (which I always have to do). Then another mob got pulled from the side. We wiped.

And then it started. The pugs started putting up recount and raging on the little gnome's terrible DPS. One healer just left. After one wipe?? So, I started going through my kit to see what was wrong. I never did this badly with worse kit. And there it was...

I was wielding a bunch of Spring Flowers...

Not my Ti'Tahk, The Steps of Time or my Rathrak. A bunch of effing Spring Flowers!!!

"Oh hai Morchok! You wan pwetty flowers?" Facepalms ensued. Big facepalms and epic cursing. I had just lost half the group because they wouldn't stay where the DPS was so low. I apologised and said I had the wrong staff on, but that was a lie. I had no staff on...

How did I manage this?? Last time I checked, my staff was on!! Fortunately for me someone else joined the group and saw another player in our group that had left their raid and started ragging them instead. I was off the hook, temporarily. They too left after a huge arguement and it looked like the raid was over. My secret was safe.

After about 30 mins we managed to gather enough to start. We cleared 4 bosses with no more wipes, which was not bad to say some of us were undergeared. We had a fun run. Without any more noob shouting (which I hate), and the little gnome did good DPS and looted some uber pretties!

Afterwards I made the decision to tell our guild what I had equipped. I was worried people would be mad because I had effectively lost the first group. But I was greeted with laughs! And that's one of the greatest things about our guild. None of the elitist crap exists. We have fun, if we don't win we try again and no one is made to feel bad for the mistakes they make. Which is more than can be said for a lot of players...

So, feel free to take Morchok flowers. He loves them...he really does.

No comments:

Post a Comment